Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Survey
Thread: Musical Survey
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Do you play an instrument proficiently?
Several (and a few others at an intermediate level)

Without consulting any sources, answer the following questions:

1. Do you know who Miles Davis is? (Just yes or no)
Yes.

2. Can you name a Miles Davis number or album?
No.

3. Do you know who Doc Watson is?
Yes.

4. Do you know who Bob Wills is?
No.

5. Do you know who Duke Ellington is?
Yes.

6. Can you name a Duke Ellington song?
No.

7. Do you know who Johnny Ace is?
No.

8. Do you know who Howlin’ Wolf is?
Yes.

9. Who was the driving force behind the band T. Rex?
I don't know.

10. Name a T. Rex song:
I don't know any.

11. Complete the following sentence: John Coltrane played the ____________.
Saxophone.

12. Who was the Beatles’ drummer before Ringo Starr?
I don't remember his name, but I remember him making a huge fuss not long ago and complained of being u justly dismissed and not getting royalties he felt he deserved.

13. Ringo Starr’s real name is:
Don't know.

14. The Supremes recorded for what label?
Don't know, probably Verb or something.

15. Do you know who Big Joe Turner is?
No.

16. Name a Big Joe Turner song:
Can't.

17. Complete the following sentence: Johan Sebastian Bach was a classical composer during the ________ period.
Baroque

18. Name an early form of European liturgical music:
Form? Like Druid chants? Or specifically Christian music? Hildegaard von Bingen (sp?) wrote some amazing liturgical arias...

19. Name a Holland-Dozier-Holland song:
Can't.

20. Richard Strauss composed which piece? A. Blue Danube, B. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, C. Rite of Spring, D. Also Sprach Zarathustra, E. None of the above, F. All of the above
D.

21. Name a Cole Porter song:
Can't.

22. Complete the following sentence: Yo-Yo Ma plays the ________.
Cello, but is highly overrated and pales in comparison to Rostropovich.

23. What is “the Carter lick”?
No idea.

24. Antonio Salieri is important because: A. He invented many of the principles of modern music theory, B. He was the teacher of Franz Schubert, C. He murdered Mozart, D. He wrote many pieces for the pipe organ.
B.

25. What was Mozart’s full name?
Well, it depends German names are odd. Do you want his baptismal name? I can't remeber that, it is long and full of old spellings. On paper, legal purposes, full primary name was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. His full name in more modern German is Johan Christian Wolfgang Theodore Mozart. Some people laugh at that and I tell them that there are other long ones, like Felix Mendelssohn (full name Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy).

26. Beethoven’s teacher was: A. Johan Bach, B. George Frideric Handel, C. Antonio Salieri, D. Josef Haydn, E. None of the above.
C.

27. Beethoven is credited with starting what period of classical music?
Romanticism I suppose, I know he began in the classical and ended in the Romantic period, but I don't recall ever seeing that genre/period of classical being attributed to him, though considering he "invented" the deceptive cadence, I can see how that would be likely.

28. Name a Scott Joplin piece:
Can't.

29. Most of Joplin’s pieces were written in which decade? A. 1890-1900, B. 1900-1910, C. 1910-1920, D. 1920-1930.
No idea.

30. Who was “the King of the Mississippi Delta Bluesmen”: A. Charley Patton, B. Blind Willie McTell, C. Lightnin’ Hopkins, D. Mississippi Fred McDowell.
None of the above. Far more prominent figures would be "Bukka" White, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Ishman Bracey, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Shines, Junior Kimbrough, B. B. King and Sonny Boy Williamson II. However, the king of Delta Blues is Robert Johnson and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2