Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Survey
Thread: Musical Survey
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Do you play an instrument proficiently? I've played drums for the last several years, and have never really had "training" per se, but am pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Without consulting any sources, answer the following questions:

1. Do you know who Miles Davis is? (Just yes or no) Yes.

2. Can you name a Miles Davis number or album? Miles Ahead, Kind Of Blue, 'Round About Midnight, Bitches Brew, Etc.

3. Do you know who Doc Watson is? Nope.

4. Do you know who Bob Wills is? Also no.

5. Do you know who Duke Ellington is? Yes.

6. Can you name a Duke Ellington song? I'm afraid I can't at the moment, much to my chagrin.

7. Do you know who Johnny Ace is? No again.

8. Do you know who Howlin’ Wolf is? Yep.

9. Who was the driving force behind the band T. Rex? Nope.

10. Name a T. Rex song: Can't.

11. Complete the following sentence: John Coltrane played the alto saxophone, as well as other sax's.

12. Who was the Beatles’ drummer before Ringo Starr? Pete Best.

13. Ringo Starr’s real name is: No clue.

14. The Supremes recorded for what label? Motown.

15. Do you know who Big Joe Turner is? I recognize the name, but I'm not sure.

16. Name a Big Joe Turner song: Can't.

17. Complete the following sentence: Johan Sebastian Bach was a classical composer during the Ye Olde Timey period.

18. Name an early form of European liturgical music: Gregorian chanting.

19. Name a Holland-Dozier-Holland song: Um. Nope.

20. Richard Strauss composed which piece? A. Blue Danube, B. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, C. Rite of Spring, D. Also Sprach Zarathustra, E. None of the above, F. All of the above

21. Name a Cole Porter song: Can't.

22. Complete the following sentence: Yo-Yo Ma plays the cello.

23. What is “the Carter lick”? I'm guessing some form of guitar-ing. I don't know nuthin' 'bout no guitar-ing, though.

24. Antonio Salieri is important because: A. He invented many of the principles of modern music theory, B. He was the teacher of Franz Schubert, C. He murdered Mozart, D. He wrote many pieces for the pipe organ.

25. What was Mozart’s full name? Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

26. Beethoven’s teacher was: A. Johan Bach, B. George Frideric Handel, C. Antonio Salieri, D. Josef Haydn, E. None of the above.

27. Beethoven is credited with starting what period of classical music? The Beet Oven Period.

28. Name a Scott Joplin piece: Aw, crap... you know... the one that everyone plays in movies with a saloon scene?

29. Most of Joplin’s pieces were written in which decade? A. 1890-1900, B. 1900-1910, C. 1910-1920, D. 1920-1930.

30. Who was “the King of the Mississippi Delta Bluesmen”: A. Charley Patton, B. Blind Willie McTell, C. Lightnin’ Hopkins, D. Mississippi Fred McDowell.

I did pitifully on this... and I'm sure I didn't get any of the classical questions right.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote