Music Banter - View Single Post - Which genre hurt rock music in general more?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Post-grunge has had a longer tenure, with bands like Nickelback and Foo Fighters. While Nu-metal pretty much phased itself out by the very early 2000's. Honestly, I don't see either as hurting rock music that much.

Nu-metal didn't leave a lasting effect on rock and the only context I've heard about it lately is in passing when mentioning the surge in aggressive rap groups such as Death Grips, who will never be accused of being a rock band I'm sure.

I also think post-grunge kept rock music commercially viable and in the public eye until so-called the garage rock revival. And, post-grunge doesn't have nearly the negative track record of nu-metal and even boats some quality bands such as Queens of the Stone Age that own their existence to post-grunge even if they do not always identify with the genre.

I don't see either as hurting rock music. However, if you're asking me to look back and sigh in embarrassment at one of them, I would definitely say Nu-metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Rock hurt more due cause grunge new metal so popular no genre other make seem prominent otherwise these days.
Channeling your inner Norg?
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote