Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #80 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Mezzanine
Artiste: Massive Attack
Year: 1998
Chronological position: Third album
Previous experience of this artiste?: "Teardrop" and that's about it.
Why is this considered a classic? Stop asking me that question! I don't know...

My thoughts
One minute (or thereabouts in) ---- Good, great, bad, meh, still waiting or other? Good
One track in --- Good
Halfway through --- Meh
Finished --- Meh verging on Bad

Comments: I know only one Massive Attack song --- Teardrop --- and I love that, but will that love prove to run through this album or will that song be the exception in a collection of tracks I won't enjoy at all? Time to find out. Oh wait! There is one other MA song I know, something called Keep my baby safe or something. It's not on this album. So why do I mention it? Well, I just do, is all. Never mind all that: on with the album. So Wiki tells me that Angel was used in "The West Wing" for the episode where Zoey was kidnapped, and I remember that being very dramatic and atmospheric. I don't to be honest remember the track but I do like it now I hear it. Don't like Risingson and of course I love Teardrop, who doesn't?

Next one's good but the low vocal is a little distracting, sitar-ish sound is nice. Lovely instrumental follows, then I'm not mad about the next one. Yeah, I doubt this band would be for me. Kind of a case of I like a few songs but would be unlikely to last through a whole album. Again. Like, I sort of like it, but I don't love it. You know? Seriously, by the time we get to the title track I'm bored and just doing other stuff while letting it play in the background. Bit of a fail really.

Favourite track(s): Angel, Teardrop, Inertia creeps, Exchange
Least favourite track(s): Risingson, Man next door and pretty much everything after that.

Final impression --- Didn't leave any real impression on me. Other than the tracks I knew and one or two others all sort of blended into a dirgey haze of low-key music and even lower-key vocals. Not my thing at all.

Do I feel, at the end, A) I wish I had listened to this sooner
B) I'm sorry I bothered
C) I might end up liking this
D) Have to wait and see
E) Bit underwhelmed; was ok but a classic?
F) Definitely enjoyed it, but again would I consider it a classic?

For the first time, I award this album a B.