Music Banter - View Single Post - Acoustic Guitar Recording - Mic Choices
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Recording an acoustic is fairly different from an electric.

You don't need to play the acoustic through an amp and record the sound given off by the amp via microphone.

The types of microphones and even individual models from the same brand and type, will all sound different and even just the placement of any given microphone in relation to the speaker will change the sound.

I am assuming your guitar had a pickup or mic of some kind factory installed? If you are not using any effects, record it direct input. That, for me anyway, works better. Hell, even if I want to add effects, I prefer direct input with effects added later VIA VST or something ththat way I can alter the effect without destroying tthe original recording's integrity or re-recording.

I get decent recording and I have what is an average computer today, with no recording USB input boxes or anything. I just put a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on my instrument cable and plug directly into the computer's microphone jack.

I don't know what "hiss" you are talking about, but even with direct input, you will get noise. Some DAW programs have add-ons or to remove the background noise/hiss/feedback and there are, I am sure, free VSTs for noise removal. There are also free audio processing programs. One is Audacity, or at least it used to be free, I don't know if it still is, and it (or others) may have tools for eliminating noise after recording.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2