Music Banter - View Single Post - Ghost Mall Music
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

CRAZY LOUIE'S SUPER BARGAIN DEAL!!!

Now that I have returned form the Ghost Mall Record Service meeting, and seen that the Co-Manager made sure that everything was running great, it's back to business!

I just got another flyer in the mail for Crazy Louie's. Seems I have been one of his best customers and decided to pass on more vinyl for me to sell. Never heard of these names, though, but the Music Gambler that I am, I will take this chance...it is the Ghost Mall Music world of lost sounds and under-performing music in the crazy world of the industry.

OK, Fantasy Time over, it's time to take a look at that is known as Tax Shelter recordings. A sell through item plan mastered by Morris Levy, this actually uses demos and rejected items from the back rooms of record companies and makes a few hundred of thousand copies of each, keeps them in the warehouse, claims lack of sales for those "Tax Loss" Reasons, then MAYBE sends a few copies out here and there to sell without even letting the artists know and without the retailer knowing what's really going on. Levy, Mr. Roulette/Adam VIII (John Lennon fans will remember that label)/Oldies collections and all that, devised a number of labels including Tiger Lily. Actually, in record collecting circles, a number of these recordings are very valuable for actually being better than expected - The covers usually had no credits listed and look like some el cheapo local act that nobody heard, but the the grooves contain some decent music that should have been treated better.

This shady chapter of the music industry had it's heyday of infamy around 1976-7 until things were being looked into. After that, it was back to the world of counterfeiting.

This post's Tiger Lily example is from a group called Sound of the City Experience, sounding like that actually had what it took to do something in the Music Industry, even if it was getting a gig making music for movies of TV shows. This may not have been originally called "Getting Down", but it does have a nice Soulful style all it's own. In the Soul collecting world, this is a hard to find vinyl that has been rated well, but very little is known about this...the sad fate of many Tax Scam recordings.

Soon, I will mention more about this messed up world, but right now, it's time to check out some music...

EDIT: Just found a Stonewall YouTube. If you have not heard this band, check this out. Stoner would be a very appropriate word, as fans of that genre of Metal may get into this - if this would have been released properly, this might have been given a chance to be a huge FM hit. On the other hand, anyone who's into some good solid 70's Rock should hear it. Recorded in '74, escaped in '76, never given a chance to actually show the world it;s true worth.

Stonewall, with the original album cover shown in the first Tube and the re-issue shown in the second and third, is one of those albums that seriously lives up to what some lost music critics have been saying. Just imagine a far more talented version of a local rock band who never got the connections they deserved, and then finding out too late in the game that their album was released somewhere. Around the time Vice's Noisey article appeared on the web, it has been said that only FIVE copies were ever found...and we're talking about the "case of the $5000 album"! Forget The Beatles' Butcher Cover, this in it's vinyl edition is a more prized possession.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/major-ja...of-the-5000-lp

As you can tell, very few copies even made it into the stores. Maybe some small dot on the map with some business with the world of Roulette (Remember the Tommy James Cut Outs that one sees from time to time, especially those of the ill fated 1970 album Travlin'?). Places where nobody could have caught it.

All that I know is that they were a house band for a recording studio in Long Island, and that is all. The only name connected to this besides Mr. Levy is that of Jimmy Goldstein. It's easy to understand why nobody wants to talk about this as a lot of hard work was rewarded with nothing in return.

For more Tiger Lily info...

http://forbiddeneye.com/labels/tigerlily.html

Last edited by Screen13; 06-18-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote