Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #13280 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Man of Steel

This is one of those hard movies to critique because there's enough there to like that you want to just overlook the flaws, but the flaws are still there and glaring enough that you can't.

I've always loved the Superman character, almost as much as Spider-Man, and I really want Warner Bros. to prove they can make good superhero movies that aren't Batman and because it could mean movie debuts of characters like Wonder Woman or a revival of Green Lantern. While Man of Steel is at times a visual masterpiece that really captures a washed out look and manages to make a movie that has sets on an alien planet, a Kansas farm, and an urban city all feel cohesive, I just can't help but think the writers don't really understand Superman.

I dunno, it just feels like more attention was paid to what things look like after Superman punches or kicks them into oblivion than how an alien individual tries to create an identity and become this bastion of hope for humanity even though they feel threatened by him. I also really don't always like how everything is trying to be tied together with General Zod, the destruction of Krypton, and Superman himself, as what I've always liked about comics is the suspension of disbelief and just using the logic of "it's a big universe, these things happen".

As beautiful as the action, scope, and cinematography are, and as great as the acting is with Russel Crowe, Kevin Costner, and Michael Shannon (he's amazing as General Zod), I just can't help but feel how empty the film's heart is just joyless and grim and that really doesn't feel all that super. The biggest criticism I have is for the ending, but as this is a new movie I really don't want to put it, even in a spoiler because that always creates temptation, but I think they will have a hard time going forward with future installments after how the battle between Superman and General Zod ends.

As far as summer blockbusters go it's an absolute amazing piece of cinema and will easily captivate and enthrall even the most jaded moviegoer, but if you have an emotional investment with the character, you may find the story to be a little on the weak side, but if you're looking for good storys in movies, summer really isn't the movie season for you.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote