Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Survey
Thread: Musical Survey
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #77 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thanks for telling us something about Johnny Ace, Lord Larehip. He certainly had the right name and the right death to join the rock and roll pantheon, but I have to say that this struck me as a bit simplistic:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
Johnny Ace was the first true rock star. You might have thought it was Elvis but Elvis was the second.
I´m no expert, but a quick look at wikipedia suggests that the claim to earliest rock star is pretty muddied:-

Spoiler for WARNING:Content includes explicit pedantic language:
In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed began playing rhythm and blues music for a multi-racial audience, and is credited with first using the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the music.

Debate surrounds which record should be considered the first rock and roll record. Contenders include Goree Carter's "Rock Awhile" (1949); Jimmy Preston's "Rock the Joint" (1949), which was later covered by Bill Haley & His Comets in 1952; and "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats (in fact, Ike Turner and his band The Kings of Rhythm), recorded by Sam Phillips for Sun Records in 1951. Four years later, Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" (1955) became the first rock and roll song to top Billboard magazine's main sales and airplay charts, and opened the door worldwide for this new wave of popular culture.

It has been argued that "That's All Right (Mama)" (1954), Elvis Presley's first single for Sun Records in Memphis, was the first rock and roll record, but, at the same time, Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle & Roll", later covered by Haley, was already at the top of the Billboard R&B charts. Other artists with early rock and roll hits included Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Gene Vincent.

Wikipedia is focusing on the material rather than the artist, but I presume that if you´re recording rock and roll songs, then you´re a rock and roll star. Anyway, here´s a song that Wikipedia mentions which seems to pre-date Johnny Ace´s material by a couple of years:-