Music Banter - View Single Post - Uncle Vernon's favorite albums from 2010 to June 2013 (ranked)
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Uncle Vernon
Groupie

#7: Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon (2013)

Released: March, 2013
Genre: Soul, neo-soul
Length: 50 minutes

After listening to the Lianne La Havas a lot recently I might want to change places with this and that album, but I'll keep it at number eight anyway. I discovered Laura Mvula due to the fact that I'm going to see Prince in Stockholm in August, and since I have a day pass to the festival I wanted to check out which other artists were playing. This is where Mvula comes in as I realized that she had just released her debut album two weeks earlier.

The album was pleasing immediately and I think she might be my favorite 'new' artist of 2013 (artist releasing debut album). The album has its own sound with influences from neo soul and Erykah Badu in particular.

The songs range from 'OK' to very good, so there aren't any bad songs on here. What I like most though is Mvula's voice and the production of the album. Just like her voice, the songs have vary in dynamics and there are quiet and loud moments, something not all that common in today's 'loudness war'. Sure, the album might get a little same-same somewhere in the middle, but stripped down songs like "Father Father" help the album in variety. I must say - I'm even more excited to see how she does live tough!

Rating: 4 British soul wails out of 5

Best song: "Like the Morning Dew"