Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Best Guitarist Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 AM   #492 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog
well it depends who said that. I don't know who played last year. If that was Zak Wylde (or however you spell it) i think he's very good. if it was a second stage opener who wishes they were the deftones and korn, well then he's probably right.

I don't know if we should count songwriting though, that doesn't mean you play the guitar well.

I think this is why teh Grammys are a second rate bastardized Emmy's. The rate things that aren't technical, like best badn. If the grammys gave out awards like "best guitarist" then they'd have alot more credibility. It couldn't be based on marketing then (or if it was it would be alot more obvious)

point is in both of those statements, what you do on the guitar should speak for itself.
Im a proghead, so technical music isnt new to me, but people really overrate technical skill and its role in music. Sure advanced knowledge of theory is required if you want to be a classical composer or jazz musician, but unless the subgenre you specialize in is prog or metal, technical ability is not all that important in rock music. I mean sure you gotta know the basics, but rock music in its earliest carnation(back when it was Rock N Roll)was quite simple, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and Buddy Holly were all great musicians, and were among the primary innovators of Rock N Roll, but this owed more to their songwriting than their ability on their respected instrument, they were not very technical players, but made great music none the less, because rock n roll was originaly founded as a simplistic style of music as a way of appealing to younger audiances. Then add the fact that some of the most important names in rock music were not technical gods either, namely The Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Kinks, The Ramones, Nirvana, U2 and The Beatles(paul and george were fairly above average in technical ability, but john and ringo were not), and to me, bands like AC/DC and The White Stripes who dispite their lack of technical ability are much closer to "true" Rock N Roll than any metal or prog band. Technical ability is only vital depending on the style or genre at hand, if you want to be in a neo classical swedish speed metal band, you will have to have some kind of formal training, however you could join a punk band as long you know 2 or 3 basic chords, alternative rock music and some forms of hard rock put little emphasis on technical ability, and instead favor songwriting over everything else, and it makes no difference in my mind, music is music, amazing technical skill wouldnt hurt, but it isnt always a bare essential to music making. For example, who do you think is the more well respected artist?, Bob Dylan or Mark Tremonti?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote