Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music streaming "enough"?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
Hey.

Now that Pink Floyd is on Spotify, my need for purchasing their albums to fill my collection has decreased. I can simply listen to them digitally. Still, I feel that it isn't enough. Owning albums, on vinyl or CD, seems to mean much more to a fan than just streaming music online. But streaming serve the same purpose, right? You just don't "own" the music, and you can't take it with you (though you can if you buy the MP3s, or use a mobile service).

For example:
If you listen a lot to Black Sabbath on Spotify, have Black Sabbath playlists, but do not own any of their albums, can you consider yourself a fan?

Music streaming is increasing in popularity, so people say, yet some artists choose to distance themselves from the trend. Pink Floyd, for instance (it wasn't their choice to be added to Spotify, after all). I am thinking a bit of the same thing. Streaming is cheaper, but can you consider yourself a "fan" by just streaming the music? Or do you have to at least buy the band's MP3s? Or their CDs? Their vinyl albums?

Any thoughts?
Fact: There were no music fans before the record was invented.