Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #390 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
I'll check them both out, thanks!

Fair warning: The guy is a Christian and his lyrics definitely reflect that, but most of the time he's very subtle about it and not in-your-face or preachy... think Sufjan Stevens. And when he is overt about it, it's usually done in a very poetic way, with somewhat mystical sounding lyrics.

But if that doesn't turn you off, you're in for a treat. All of his work is top notch.
I did check him out and listened to the first couple songs without even noticing the Christian overtones. It wasn't until I looked him up on wiki that I even figured it out. Having said that, Christian music bothers just as much or little as any other religious or cult music...as long as it's not in your face over the top, it's ok by me.

Definitely got more of a singer-songwriter vibe from him than a country vibe, but a few songs had obvious country leanings. The mixture of genres and techniques was interesting. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't hit me as spectacular right away. I do think it's one that after a few listens would really start to make an impact.

Based on the way you described your interest in country music in an earlier post, it seems like we have similar tastes when it comes to the genre. I was on a Townes van Zandt kick for a while, and the only way I could listen to him was with headphones on. I think he's just brilliant. Anyway, if you had any other recommendations, I'd love to hear them!