Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music streaming "enough"?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I agree with you but I think what makes that particular point a debate, is it OK to call yourself a fan of music and not buy any of it? There are artists I would say I was a fan of and yet I don't own any of their music. However, for me personally, theres a line. If I continue to get into that artist, and find myself liking their music and more, loving their music, adoring that band, I have to buy physical copies rather than continue to keep listening to the ones I stole.
Buying the music doesn't make you the fan in your example. You don't suddenly become one. You buy their music because you are a fan, and that is your way of expressing it.

Personally, I hesitate to call myself a fan of anything unless I'm madly in love with one album or really enjoy two or more of them*, but that's what being a fan feels like to me. I'm not going to tell anyone else whether or not they are fans of a thing.

* Coincidentally, I do own merchandise from these artists, but I do not consider that part of my subjective fan experience, because I am now too poor to pay for most artist-related goods, whether I love that artist or not.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote