Music Banter - View Single Post - Sacred Cows
Thread: Sacred Cows
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The Wall I can't see The Wall as a sacred cow. Dark Side of the Moon is their magnum opus which is tauted by critic and fans (and even casual fans) alike. My favorite album by Pink Floyd is Animals. It's the album I would rather play. I don't see it get much mention compared to the other two. I can't go more than 20 minutes listening to the car radio without hearing a Pink Floyd song and I haven't recall those songs being played to death on the radio - it's a shelter from pigs on the wing, not a sacred cow. I see The Wall (and the movie) aimed at children (not that I dislike the whole album) and DSotM & Animals at a more maturer audience.

Selling England That is my favorite, it has Charisma... maybe it's in my top three Genesis albums. Sometimes I don't know the sense of having a single all time favorite band or album. But in this case I can see why people love this album. tbh I don't know the track list on the album to me it is one 53:39 long piece of music. I hop-scotched through Genesis' catalogue, like I said before I slowly acquainted myself with each Genesis album. A Trick of the Tail was my favorite before discovering SEbt£. Comparing the two I would say with ATotT there are some songs I like better than others, with SEbt£ I like the album as whole.
Of course I don't know what makes an album sacred, but when I reviewed Captain Beefheart's "Trout mask replica" a few days back it seemed to be considered as such. Of course you can criticise any album; the point is that there are albums that people will be surprised if you do so, albums that are deemed so universally liked or respected that they're untouchable.

Selling England is a good example to some degree. I do like it, but it's far from my favourite Genesis album and yet I see it constantly top polls, here and elsewhere. I consider "Wind and wuthering" and "Trick of the tail" far superior, but nobody ever seems to agree with me. "Selling" is a great album but I don't see why it's accepted as better than "Foxtrot", "Nursery cryme" or either of the two I mentioned. But the view seems to be almost universal, so is SEBTP a sacred cow?