Music Banter - View Single Post - A Song By Song Look at High Fidelity
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Pg. 42 & 43

The Righteous Brothers "Little Latin Lupe Lu"

Yeah, I've heard this song about fifty million times ever since I stole my mom's CD (she didn't want it, so it doesn't count as theft, so there) and it's some quality 60's garage rock/frat rock. Nice energy, nice lazy vocals, and the saxophone is also rather sweet. Still not as good as "Gimme Some Lovin'" or "Nobody but Me" or "Louie Louie" (all on that album, so you see why I "stole" it), but quite good nonetheless.

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels "Little Latin Lupe Lu"

Oh, this is better. I've only heard the first like ten seconds, but I can already tell. Dirtier, sloppier, and that openning drum beat is much more punk.

On second thought, I'm not so sure. The Righteous Brothers version has its merits over Mitch Ryder. First of all, the vocals have more of a cheesy charisma that makes it quite fun, whereas Mitch Ryder (I'm assuming he's the singer) doesn't really sound like anything particularly special. He goes along with the more stripped down music in his version, but still, I'm sure you can find plenty of singers like him in plenty of other garage bands.

The Righteous Brothers also has a much more warm production, whereas the Mitch Ryder version is again, much more stripped down, and has a live feel to it. Which is all good, and would probably be better live, but on record, the other version is more enjoyable.

So, I'm gonna have to give this one to Barry and assume that Dick is just being an obscurist snob.
Bill Medely was one of the Righteous Brothers, so their version already has something going for it being their original. Still, possibly going with my growing up with Ryder's version, I'm more with the cover that sounded more like going into some crazy Detroit club and catching the band in action with everyone drinking and going mad for the music. As much as I like the smooth LA polish of the "Brothers", Ryder's singing is more forceful - after subjecting myself to a lot of more obscure Garage Punk that features some seriously off key singing by teenagers trying to be Mick Jagger (nothing wrong with that, though), Ryder has some influential Soulful edge in his singing that reflects the Motown influences he had which stood out from most of the pack - influential in the way that it helped bring out more of an edge in a lot of vocalists in the area.

Still, snobs have a way of favoring version for the sake of just looking cool about it so I see your point.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote