Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Subjectivity
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
While I was in the car with my boyfriend listening to Kanye's new album, "Yeezus" we spoke about the album and how dark it was.
We also talked about the kind of mood someone would generally be in when listening to it, since it's not an upbeat or fun album, but rather dark, deep, and a little bit depressing.

Sometimes I can't listen to music like that cause it brings down my mood, other times, if I'm calm or already upset, it kind of complements my emotions.

I know we, as music fans, talk about this all of the time. But I was kind of hoping to discuss this a little further, and talk about how music can change where we are in out feelings.

I know that whenever I'm upset, Hermione will send me a super happy song, and it brings me up, it's better than marinating in my feelings and bring myself even lower. Other times, when I'm upset, I'll scream a really loud and crazy song just to get out all of my negativity.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, just wanted to hear how everyone else feels.
On the subject of music being subjective, it's interesting how different people's reactions can be to the same music. The Kanye West album you mention, for example, isn't something I'd ever even think to describe as dark or depressing. To me it's simply evocative of cruising around the city at night. It's weird how that is.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote