Music Banter - View Single Post - Ghost Mall Music
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

DOUBLE ALBUM SOUNDTRACKS THAT DID NOT MOVE IN THE US PART 2 - ROADIE (1980)

This is possibly the most Mainstream this journal has been so far. I hope I entertain you with this.

...and you thought I was going to write about The Bee Gee's infamous Sgt. Pepper debacle! Or The Village People's Can't Stop the Music which in fact did, for them. Ummm...not yet. Still trying to get into that hyper critical frame of mind.

Various Artists - Roadie (Soundtrack)
Warner Brothers
Genre: Playing at the Dollar Show
C/O saw cut on the top right side

No, right now, I will talk about Roadie, Alan Rudolph's film that tried to break into the music movie market and stopped short of getting anywhere back in 1980. Filled with AOR stars, including Meatloaf in a starring role, as well as Soul Train's Don Cornelius, this was a Comedy about the other side of the Rock and Roll touring life as Ex-Trucker Travis W Redfish (Mr. Loaf himself) tried to save shows and use his technical expertise in his new life. About nine years after Rudolph's Premonition, one of those Hippie style flicks about a group of musicians seeing their deaths after smoking the leaves of some red flowers at an abandoned place (those were the days!), this took an opposite direction in a decade of the Director's work from being WTF and possibly best seen under Psychedelics (and from I what I heard, disowned) to easy to understand and served with a cold cheap beer...although I actually go for that Early 70's mind rot at times to see how some people started (Premonition was not that bad, really, but screamed first film all the way). Not a criticism, but an observation, trust me.

There was another film in 2011 with the same name, but that's way out of the focus of this journal as it did not have a soundtrack that went into the Cut Out bins faster than the speed of light...or at least in about a year ofter release. Nah, THIS Roadie is from the vinyl era, so grab a cold one and chill out with the best of this cut out!

As to be expected in the era of Urban Cowboy, this had to have a double whopper of a soundtrack filled with proven hit makers, but sadly wound up being left unsold and later to be cut out possibly for the reason that several of it's songs were already owned by fans of the respective musicians. Even Billboard singled out the soundtrack as one of those that outright failed in the time when almost every major film had to have a soundtrack that was hyped for sale, reaching I think #147 possibly on the strength of it's few well known songs, although it was a very mixed bag without too much of a focus. The film did not do all that well, and I still wonder why it flopped sometimes, maybe it's a not so successful mix of sensibilities that has moments but not an overall win. That's show biz as they all say, although there a few success stories within it's grooves when all is said.

Actually, this album is seriously programmed well enough. Each of the four sides have a music style that dominates and fans actually had a nice amount of songs that were for the film which wound up to be "cult hits" for some of the artists here while other songs were radio standards by that time. It's not really a great lost Soundtrack by any means, but it is a listenable ride that does not go for too long filled with a lot of fine professional performances.

SIDE ONE
Cheap Trick - Everything Works if You Let It
The #44 single that was on the 10 Inch Mini Album, Found All the Parts (#39) which, along with The Clash's Black Market Clash, was one of two successes for CBS' ill fated format which at least was better than the fail concept of the one sided single they tried in '82. Trick fans already had their song by the time this was out, so really there was no use to get this unless one was a full on completest. The song is one of the final greats of their heyday before a hit and miss 1980's, and while it sounds a bit throw away, the music is still very good. "Voices", from the classic Dream Police album, is also heard in the film.

To be cool with you, I'll throw in the full version that was not released until the box set Sex, America, Cheap Trick, featuring other songs from their Early 80's career in notable songs for Soundtracks.

Pat Benatar - You Better Run
Already on the Crimes of Passion album, and unlike Cheap Trick's single a Top 40 hit, there was no need for her fans to get this unless one had to have everything by her. Produced by Keith Olsen (Ex-Music Machine turned super producer).

Joe Ely - Brainlock
A nice easy going Rocker from the singer/songwriter. Perfect for background music to a kind of cheesy film about Rock and Roll.

Alice Cooper - Road Rats
Exclusive to this film and soundtrack (I think later on the box set...), this is a decent toss away from Alice's Early 80's era.

SIDE TWO
This side has a mix, but at least it had the one song that broke out of this film a hit.

Teddy Pendergrass - Can't We Try
A ballad from one of the best known singers of the era, ex- Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes. His hit album of 1980 that this was on was a critically-applauded Platinum seller, TP. A #52 on BB's Pop Singles, this was #3 on the R&B chart AND #52 on the Dance chart (For those Slow Dance times!). That success was not mentioned as much as the next one on this soundtrack. Trust me, this sounds much better on vinyl, especially with the Bass on full.

Eddie Rabbit - Drivin' My Life Away
You possibly know this one. In a Billboard article about the single's surprise success, he singer said that he did not want to be background music for a fight in a bar, and he got his wish by seeing this go into the Top 10. Nice easy going tune, if certainly cheesy, and I'm sure a favorite of Truckers everywhere even today. A win for 80's MOR Country, it must be admitted.

Stephen Bishop and Yvonne Ellman - Your Precious Love
Jay Ferguson - A Man Needs a Woman
One Ashford and Simpson cover done so much better by others and a song by Steve Cropper and John Lewis Parker that's not really top level, these are skip tracks...time to change the album!

SIDE THREE
Styx - Crystal Ball
One of the very early Styx songs, and actually not as annoying as their best known hits. Some strong playing on this track that's pretty moody for them.

Sue Sadd and the Next - Double Yellow Line
At least Styx were AOR for real! Sue Sadd were an example of faux New Wave that tried to Mainstream the sound, but was aiming for an Alternative audience that wanted nothing to do with them. A Planet Records signing (I think that was Producer Richard Perry's label), they would only last a couple of years before fading away into used album memories.

Blondie - Ring of Fire
YES!!! This is what collectors get this album for. A fine performance of the Johnny Cash classic by a legendary band. A little up-tempo, but it's Blondie, and it's damn good!

Alice Cooper - Pain
Already on Flush the Fashion, this was another song that proved that one had to be a major collector to get this album. A standout song from a good under valued album, though.
As I'm in a great mood, ready to give you the special treatment, this is the clip.

SIDE FOUR
It's time for the Country Side!

Roy Orbison and Emmylou Harris - That Lovin' You Feelin' Again
The title was clumsy, the song very sappy, but it still featured one of the greatest vocalists of all time trying to get back his popularity. It took David Lynch to bring him back to his deserved stardom, but at least he gave it a try here.

Jerry Lee Lewis - (Hot Damn) I'm a One Woman Man
Send him to the lie detector!!! Before that, though, let him sing his side of the story, then prove him wrong! A good performance that shows that not even the slick 80's production can kill the Killer's delivery.

Hank Williams Jr. - The American Way
Hank Jr.'s working man's country was at least not as slick as what was going on in the field at the time.

Asleep At the Wheel - Texas, Me, and You
Noted band closing up the shop for this vinyl. Too relaxed for me, but right for the film.

Final Vinyl Verdict...too many familiar songs, a mix that was reliant on the film's success to move copies, and a one way ticket to the Cut Out bin. Still, at least the film survives on DVD and is a decent example of brain on hold entertainment and proof that while Rudolph's aim for the Mainstream was not as solid as other films, it was not that bad either if a bit stereotypical.

The vinyl, however, at lest my copy, is very damn sturdy, and with four a side, the sound is excellent beyond expectations. A nice souvenir of a film that was damned if they did/damned if they did not that went into the C/O bins quick and was called a fiasco by some, but once again, the success stories within the music here at least outlived what happened.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote