Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #425 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in? Fuck me! I did NOT expect anything this good. It just pounds right at you, no time to get acclimatised or ease your way into the album. Power from the word go.

2. What did you think of the opening tracks?
The first track really hit me square between the eyes. A brave move to have the opening track on your debut album run ten minutes, but I think it's a gamble that pays off. The song has everything, and by the time it's over you're more than ready for more. "Sleepwalker" has a little less of the wow factor but still a good song, then "Join" gets everything rocking back up again.

3. What did you think of the later tracks?
For me, this album never flagged once. I was truly floored by just about every track. "The bottom line" is pure grinding rock, whereas the title track is one of the best progressive rock epics I've heard in a good while. Then "One look away" is a gorgeous piano ballad that still manages to pack a punch. Hey, what more could you ask for in an album?

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
Incredibly strong voice, with a growly power in his vocal chords that at times reminds me of a heavier, proggier Meat Loaf. Josh Pincus is in fact so strong a vocalist that it seems there are no backing vocals required on the album, and the rest of the band just leave him to it.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?
Most of the songs are preceded by long instrumental intros which really shows how proficient this band were, without descending into technical wankery, which they definitely do not need. Great keyboard work from Pincus, in addition to his storming vocal performance, and Jimmy Pappas keeps the hard raw edge on the music by virtue of his quite excellent displays on the frets.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
Much better. I kept waiting for a bad track, but none came.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
As ever I find progressive rock lyrics often obscure, but they are well-written, and give the impression that this album may be following a concept of sorts.

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?
There are two instrumentals on the album. The first, "Spare chicken parts" is guitar led, has some nice effects and is weird but in a good way. Certainly shows the talent of Jimmy Pappas off. Another brave decision to include an instrumental that runs for almost nine minutes! The other one comes near the end and is initially a showcase for Pincus on the piano, on which he does shine, but then Pappas takes over with the guitar and it really takes off. I do like both, but I prefer "Spare chicken parts" of the two. Man, it even has a drum solo which pulls in a line from "2001", and that works perfectly!

9. What did you think of the production?
Very clear, very professional and pristine without being sterlie. This is more impressive when you realise that Pappas is the producer as well as guitarist.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?
I downloaded this ages ago, and it sat on my hard drive, unnoticed and ignored until I needed something different to review for "Bitesize" and thought what the hell, I'll give this a go. I can tell you, I was surprised in the most pleasant way possible. Never heard of them prior to this.

11. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
I think it's heavy enough to qualify as progressive metal.

12. On repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
Gets better each time I listen to it.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?
"The bottom line", "Spare chicken parts" and the title track
14. And the one you liked least?
I think "Sleepwalker" is just missing that killer edge. Still a great song even so.

15. Did the fact that this album is a debut allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?
To my mind this album is phenomenal. The fact that it's a debut, not to mention only one of two they recorded, even moreso.

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing other albums by the band/artist?
Sadly Ice Age only released one album after this, whereafter they changed their name to Soulfractured and after releasing two EPs split up. I bought the second album but have not yet been able to lay my hands on the EPs, though I believe they changed their musical direction a little. Still, I'd love to hear more but this is sadly all there is.

17. Did you get, thematically, the idea behind the album if there was one?
Seems to be a rejection of industrialisation and progress which is taking us too far, and a return to, or hope for a return to, simpler times, yet running within that the realisation that this is not an achievable goal.

18. Did the album end well?
Yes. I wouldn't call "To say goodbye part 2" one of the strongest tracks on the album but it's a good powerful closer and ties up the themes of the album very well. The soft piano ending bookends the album between that and the opening barrage of guitar and keyboard, and ties in with the lyric.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
Only that it should be better known and Ice Age still around...

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
Yes I think the thematic ideas running through most of the songs tie the album together quite well.

Ratiing:9.8 out of 10