Music Banter - View Single Post - Soldiers' families suing the UK government? Wow!
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
FETCHER.
Nae wains, Great Danes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circe View Post
Something like this isn't that easy to quantify though. Sure, our soldiers basically sign their lives away when they join up but at the same time they expect the military to provide them with the resources and dedication required to ensure the maximum possiblity of their survival in warzones. If negligence from higher command, insufficient supplies or low quality equipment cause a soldier's death then I'm fully behind his family being able to demand compensation for it.
I completely agree. I've also heard they're sending jeeps out that aren't armoured as heavily as they say they are. Which is completely wrong. I also do not know if this is fact or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
But mistakes happen in war. That's just reality. If commanders are caught up wityh worrying about getting the army sued, then they will basically be hamstrung and who knows how many soldiers might die while they're paralyzed by indecision over questions of liability? Within reason of course, but in general, if you signed your life away to the military, making a caveat that this only applies so long as it can't be proved in a court of law that your death was caused by garden variety bungling is unreasonable.

If this doesn't appeal to you, then don't join the military and don't go around saying that, "Someone needs to do something" everytime something terrible happens in the world (i.e. Syria, Lybia, Mali, etc). Not that that applies to you, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.
It's all good and well saying that they knew the risks when they were signing up but unfortunately it is not as simple as that. I dont know what its like where you stay but quite a large amount of people here sign up to the army because they have no other options and have a family to support and with such little job opportunities the army is an excellent wage at the end of every month.

Hell I've even considered joining up because I've been so broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote