Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Default Dragonforce - Inhumane Rampage

Review #014 - "Inhumane Rampage" by Dragonforce
Year: 2006
Genre: Power/Speed Metal

Oh, Dragonforce. One of the most controversial metal bands of all time. People consistently argue over whether or now they're talented or talentless. Personally, my stance used to be that they were amazing, but now I'm kinda indifferent. I received this album for my birthday and now there are select tracks I like to listen to. Of course, most people know about Dragonforce because "Through The Fire And Flames" was in Guitar Hero 3, including myself, but most people don't know anything about them beyond that. So here I am, diving into their only album that people actually bought!

1. Through The Fire And Flames
Oh here we go! Their only song anyone actually cares about. I can't knock it too much, the opening riff is beyond catchy and, even though no one gives a damn about them, the vocals are solid. It's a good opening track to set the mood of the album.

2. Revolution Deathsquad
Once again, catchy opening. The rest of it isn't very catchy, but it's still a pretty ok song. Solos are good, but also not very memorable. The record scratch thing was cool though. Also, autotune at one part...o-kay?

3. Storming The Burning Fields
Opening with the sound of something starting on fire and phaser sounds, this is slightly faster and heavier yet than the 2 previous songs and certainly more catchy than "Revolution Deathsquad," but not by much. Chorus is freaking brilliant in it's catchiness and heaviness.

4. Operation Ground And Pound
Apparently, this is one of their better-known songs. And it's tad more unique compared to the others in that, while it's heavy, it's not just rapid playing and actually has a foundation...until about 45 seconds in. *sigh* Oh well, chorus at least has a decent foundation, but seriously Dragonforce, try something new. Oh well, can't knock this one too much with the dissonance that I love so much.

5. Body Breakdown
Pretty decent verses that are less heavy, and the chorus is catchy, but it's standard Dragonforce fare. The bass groove was a welcome surprise though.

6. Cry For Eternity
Opening riff is pretty cool. Standard, but rather great song. It's really growing on me. Spacey effects are really awesome and ska-like guitars at times are random, but cool

7. The Flame Of Youth
Eh, more generic Dragonforce fare, though the soft drums during the first verse is okay.

8. Trail Of Broken Hearts
What's that? Dragonforce tried something different, you say? A power ballad,you say!?! That's right, a unique song. And it's a damn good one. Catchy, light, yet heavy, and epic. They did something unique.

Conclusion: Sorry I wasn't able to go as in depth as I usually do, but this album is too repetitive for that. Overall, if you're looking for a fantastic listening experience, don't buy this. If you want an album for your party, take it. Also, don't just get this. Get the special edition that leaves out off quite possibly the best song on the album. But anyways, yes, I believe this could work as a party album with "Trail Of Broken Hearts" being the climax where all the drunken party goers get together and wave lighters in the air.

Final Score: 49/100 (Way repetitive, but it has some decent moments)