Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1452 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Just a few comments on the draft:

- I do not understand what Colorado is doing. If you like Mackinnon, fine, but I don't understand why they're coming out and saying that they are dead-set on taking a forward. Personally, I think Jones is the definite #1 player in this class. I'm not 100% sold on Mackinnon. I sort of get that sense that he'll be a nice player, but doesn't have what it takes to get to that superstar elite-level status. I could see him turning into a Parise type player, which isn't bad by any means, but you can get a lot more with Jones.

It's a lot more rare to get a defenseman of this quality than it is to get a forward. His size/skill/speed combo is pretty deadly and he really looks like the best d-man to come along in a long time. I just don't know how you can pass that up if you're Colorado. I'm not a believer in picking for position needs, but it doesn't hurt that the Avs are loaded at center and are very poor on the blueline. If the Panthers pass on him as well because they feel their set on their blueline with all the young talent they have there, the Lightning hit the jackpot.

- Lindholm is going to be/already is incredible. It's very rare for an 18 year old kid to be this complete and polished of a hockey player. Whatever team gets him is going to get a steal that could step into the NHL very soon. When you're evaluating young talent coming into the draft, I really think hockey sense is the most important thing to look for, and I think Lindholm has the best hockey sense in the draft.

- How far will Nichuskin, Domi and Shinkaruk slide? Nichuskin looks like a huge offensive talent but the Russian factor is always at play. The Sabres didn't shy away from this with Grigorenko last year, so I'd bet they'll take him. Domi and Shinkaruk are two guys that suffer because of the size factor. Both are still projected to go in the top 20 at least, but I think we could see one of them slide.

- I think you could see someone jump on Zadorov earlier than expected. Someone's going to be enamored with his size and physicality. Somewhat similar to McIlrath a few years ago.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote