Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #1454 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces Out Dan! View Post
I disagree with you about Seth Jones..I honestly don't think he's close to the player that either Mackinnon or Drouin are. If you look at some of recent history, with high drafted, highly scouted defensemen, it hasnt worked out. All of these guys were drafted in the top 4 in the last couple years. Rostislav Klesla, Joni Pitkanen, Cam Barker, Zach Bogosian, and of course Erik Johnson. Thats just my opinion though, time will only prove either of our arguments. But just remember Mackinnon's performance in the memorial cup in comparison to Jones'. 5 points with a hattrick I believe in the finals.
You can't just base it on past d-men though. Yes, defensemen are harder to evaluate and they usually take longer to develop, but it doesn't mean they can't. Seth Jones reminds me a lot of Pietrangelo. He doesn't look quite as good defensively, but he looks to have more offensive upside. Both play very similar styles though and his size and speed should translate well to the NHL, as it did with Pietrangelo.

As for Mackinnon's performance in the Memorial Cup, yes it was great but I think people are too enamored with these small sample sizes. Just look at what people were saying about Mackinnon after the World Juniors. He had a poor performance and Jones and Drouin were great; all of a sudden people started to question everything. When you look at what people were saying going into the Memorial Cup, Jones was #1. For 4 games to completely flip that opinion, it just seems crazy to me.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote