Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #101 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Pronounced "Leh-nerd Skin-nerd"
Artiste: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Year: 1973
Chronological position: Debut album
Previous experience of this artiste?: "Freebird", "Sweet home Alabama", "Wishing well" and "Last of a dyin' breed"
Why is this considered a classic? If I leave ya tamarra, would you still remember me?

My thoughts
One minute (or thereabouts in) ---- Good, great, bad, meh, still waiting or other? Good
One track in --- Good
Halfway through --- Great
Finished --- Great

Comments: Yep. Another classic band of whom I have to hear a full album, other than the latest one, which I loved. Of course I know Freebird, but after that everything here is new to me. Not terribly impressed with the opener but then we get Tuesday's gone, a big blues ballad and everything just gets so much better. Great organ work and of course smouldering guitar solo. Always sad to hear Ronnie and think of such a talent snatched away far too soon. Gimme three steps is hilarious boogie fun, while Simple man is a hard-edged ballad with real teeth.

There's mandolin, harmonica AND slide guitar on Mississippi Kid, real acoustic sort of thing that Rory Gallagher would later make popular on his solo albums and of course we close on the famous classic which everyone knows. Could there be a better final track on a debut album? I doubt it.

Favourite track(s): Tuesday's gone, Gimme three steps, Simple man ... everything after the opener. Oh, and Freebird, but I didn't need to tell you that, did I?
Least favourite track(s): I ain't the one

Final impression --- A great album, and I need to listen to more Skynyrd.

Do I feel, at the end, A) I wish I had listened to this sooner
B) I'm sorry I bothered
C) I might end up liking this
D) Have to wait and see
E) Bit underwhelmed; was ok but a classic?
F) Definitely enjoyed it, but again would I consider it a classic?

A, boy! A!