Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #127 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I was actually referring to the LA glam scene and the SF thrash scene rivalry.
Ah. Well, I don't know that their differences had so much to do with location, and more to do with the thrash guys wanting to stick the glamsters heads on spikes. I remember a thrash documentary I saw a few years ago where Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel, Death, Strapping Young Lad) was sort of half joking that they were pissed at the "poseurs" because they would steal their girlfriends, and then the thrash dudes would go and wail on a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
Besides the charismatic front couple of Exene and John Doe; X's guitarist Billy Zoom was a master of rockabilly guitar and played with the talented L.A. roots music group, the Alligators, long before joining X. You can hear h a lot more of Zoom's rockabilly style of playing on X's roots music influenced second album, Wild Gift.

Billy Zoom was in his 40s when he joined X and began playing guitar professionally in the mid-1960s in various soul music and country and western bands in the Midwest before he landed in L.A. and formed the Alligators.

The members of X were far and away the most gifted musicians associated with the L.A.'s early punk scene.
I was vaguely aware of this. And I'm definitely looking forward to listening to their second album at some point. I can definitely hear that they were building to something. They play good punk, but the best moments on Los Angeles are definitely the ones where they stretch out and go weird.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote