Music Banter - View Single Post - Recent Supreme Court Rulings
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
It's not just the fact that they can't provide it but the fact that they still pay taxes and possibly can't afford to order a birth certificate to get a photo ID or they are elderly and haven't needed to obtain a photo ID but used to be able to vote and now they can't.
So the answer is to just leave the gates wide open for fraud?
I think the smarter answer is to use some of those tax dollars the government wastes on useless programs and government waste/abuse to allow those groups you're talking about to obtain the necessary identification so they can vote legally, while simultaneously preventing fraud.

It astounds me how this is always argued from a single position. Would better management of our tax dollars be beneficial? Yes. Could we then address the problems you're talking about without simply saying "If you can breathe, you can vote"? Of course.
Why that's not on the table first and foremost is disgusting. And I'm not making any allegations, but it seems reasonable to me that the left stands to lose a few votes if we're required to prove we're citizens. Just like the right would gain a few if actual citizens couldn't afford to prove it. Which is why you make a few sacrifices and meet in the middle.