Music Banter - View Single Post - Living Below the Poverty Line
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Default Living Below the Poverty Line

Could you/can you do it?

I personally don't find it at all difficult. Possibly growing up in eastern KY has done it. But I have a smart phone, high speed internet, a roof over my head, and never go hungry. I also have time and money to buy video game and music stuff, but I'm "under the poverty line" by a little bit.

I don't go out of my way and see concerts/sporting events on the weekly...or even the monthly. I'll go see the red legs play once a season, go to an amusement park or two, and will go out to a bar or something once a month or so, but I never run out of money, and I never stress it too much. I pay about $90 every two weeks for health/dental/vision insurance, still pay rent and car insurance...am I missing something? I'm happy and at least moderately healthy, with a little money left over for leisure.

This really makes me not want to empathize with my customers. I've had a few say, "I only make $2500 every two weeks..." And it's like, "yeah? I don't make that in a month, but I still pay all my bills (including my own cell phone bill which is higher than the one they pay) and still have money for leisure time.

I drive a 2001 Chevy Cavalier, but it has 51k miles, and is in good shape, ostensibly. I have a home with bills. I buy food. I pay bills. But I put the bills first and then see what's left over for entertainment.

I also contribute money for my sister to do her incredibly price-y cheer training, because my mom is a single mother who has a mortgage and all manner of other stress my dad doesn't bother to assist with. He wants to pay child support, but my mom won't accept it, because she's a bitch. Anyway.

I spend so much money on life stuff, but still have money to have fun. I'm not wealthy. My great grandmother is wealthy, but I'm not. My mom's not.

But I'm living under the "poverty line," and completely disgusted that people pulling six figures claim to be able to afford only the "essentials."

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote