Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #129 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Exhorder: The Law

Since Exhorder only have one more album I figured that I'd finish them off. I hear that this is more of a groove metal album so here's hoping that it's a natural progression and not an attempt to cash in on Pantera's success.

Nah this still sounds like Exhorder. This is some nasty death/thrash, just with a heavier emphasis on groove. I'm not entirely thrilled with the production though. With this kind of sound they need a little more bottom end than this. Musically though I don't yet have anything to gripe over. Groove metal generally loses me because the heaviness usually comes at the expense of energy, but this album has no such problem. The sheer energy on display really makes this a tour-de-force of pure snarling viciousness. Badass.

Dude, a cover of "Into the Void". Covers usually are pretty hit-or-miss, but I'm hoping a band with a focus on heaviness will do it justice and not just make some lame thrash version of it.

Thankfully it's a pretty straight cover that goes by at the same tempo as the original. You could say that this cover is kind of redundant, but since it's "Into the Void" you'd have to really screw it up for it not to still rule, and this cover certainly does, although Exhorder's vocalist can't hold a candle to Ozzy on his own song. To be fair I'm sure that Ozzy would completely cock "I Am the Cross".

Exhorder have a serious talent for not filling their albums with filler. Both of their albums have been amazing from beginning to end. I don't yet know which one I prefer, but they are both classic fucking albums. They aren't exactly the most diverse or creative band on Earth, but I still would like to see what they would've done given a third album. Hopefully I would at least have a third Exhorder album to punish my ears with. These dudes are definitely criminally underrated.

P.S. "I Am the Cross" is one of the most headbang worthy thrash metal songs I've ever heard. True story.

Spoiler for Hugs for all!:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote