Music Banter - View Single Post - Which music maker PC software should I get? (new artist)
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Bullet
Music Addict

You can't do **** with $60. I mean, there's insanely powerful freeware out there like SuperCollider that only a small handful, maybe ten thousand people in the world, will be able to use as well as paid software, but aside from that, you'd be better with around a thousand bucks if you want to legitimately create electronic music. You can't usually get a basic DAW (main program/composition software) for under $50-$100, and most good VSTis (used for sound design and sometimes mastering, although the DAW often takes care of the later. You will use multiple VSTis) will cost you around $200, although there's better freeware in that area. Crystal, DaHornet, Synth1, TAL Noisemaker and U-NO-LX, and Zebra are all decent free VSTis, Crystal being my personal favorite, but aside from maaayyybe Crystal, they can't hold a candle to expensive VSTis like those made by Native Instruments or Image-Line (both of these companies put their best ones in bundles.) They're a good start, though.

Personally, as far as DAWs go, I use FL studio (also by Image-Line), which costs around $100. I know Sony Acid costs a little less, but I usually use that for recording, so I can't tell you how it compares when making electronic music. Logic, Ableton Live, Reason, Pro Tools and Cubase are also common ones, but I don't have any experience with them and I think most of them are much more expensive.

I know there's plenty of people on here who are far more knowledgeable than I am, and I hope they'll pitch in. Just my $0.02. Good luck!
The Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote