Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Review #015 - "Life In HD" by Life In HD
Year: 2013
Genre: Instrumental Prog Rock (except track 6)
Sometimes it's good to get some free music when you're saving money, or when you're flat broke. That's what I thought when I clicked the link of an MB user looking to promote his stuff. Now it was clear that he'd joined the site simply to plug his EP, as he only had one post and he was a new user. I found the post before it was removed and I bookmarked the page. I downloaded his album, cuz, free tunes, and decided I might as well review it. I was in a good mood. BTW, here's a link to his album. Anyways, since this guy is a one man band who plays all his own instruments, I decided to give him the benefit of a doubt. I know the feeling of wanting to promote my music. So, was it worth it? Let's find out.

1. The Beach
We start off very calm and cool. It's some of the subtle details that give the first part song it's charm, like the carefree slidey guitars. Then later, we get some heavy guitars and cymbals in the background, which actually creates a weird effect. I'm not sure if I like it or not. The song in general though, it's a pretty good chill tune. Can't really complain.

2. I Still Know You
Opening reverbtastic riff is setting a pretty decent tone, and it goes up from there. We get some decent drum work and an emphasized bassline. Around the 2 minute mark the guitars get slightly heavier for a bridge that brings us some better drumming for a bit and then a nice little bass and drum breakdown before the song really gets good and slightly dark.

3. An Overwhelming Realization
This is a more somber effort, and it does get me into the mood it's trying to create, I must say. It's certainly not bad. Though I must say, when it picks up, it almost makes me wanna headbang. Key word being almost. It doesn't quite do it's job later on. It had potential to be better. Ending piano was a nice touch though.

4. On The Edge Of The World
This one, while not as dark as the last, does get slightly heavier, and mildly headbang worthy. Bass is pretty nice, as is the guitar, but overall, I don't have terribly much to say. When it picks up for the 2nd time, however, it does merit headbanging in that slow, heavier sort of way. It's kewl.

5. You're Not Coming Back, Are You?
Somber, but I really don't know what to say at this point. It's certainly calmer and sadder than "An Overwhelming Reaction" until it picks up and get surprisingly happy, but I don't really know what to say anymore.

6. Gone Away (The Offspring cover)
This one, unlike the others has vocals. The drums are actually quite good, as are the aforementioned vocals. I can't really say much about this one since I haven't heard the original song. Anyways, shall we wrap this up?

Conclusion: Overall, I did enjoy this EP, but I found it incredibly generic and rather uninteresting most of the time. It's more like background music than anything. A point of advice for Mr. "Life In HD" if he's reading this: Maybe try adding vocals to your songs. In my opinion, that immediately makes a song more memorable. If you need someone to help write the lyrics, there are many people ready and willing. Also, you're a good singer. I heard you in that Offspring cover. Anyways, yeah, just a pointer. Otherwise your songs to me sound very generic and rather uninspired, no offense.

Overall: 60/100 (Worth it, it is free)