Music Banter - View Single Post - Living Below the Poverty Line
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
This annoys me, too. The more you earn, the more you spend. I work in a field where there are a lot of very "middle class" people and some from quite wealthy families or have wealthy partners/husbands/wives. I often hear them complaining about what they cannot afford, when they are likely easily earning $200k+ in their household. One woman at my work was complaining that she couldn't stay at home to be a mum, because she couldn't afford it, or something. Her husband earns about $100k in the mining industry. They go on constant overseas holidays, their kids go to private schools, splurge lots on luxury items. It just seems so ridiculous to me.
Bah, and you told me you were a teacher.

I'm not sure what the poverty line is, but I would have assumed it was much, much lower than the level of income mentioned in the OP.

Most people will always adjust their lifestyle to their income, and therefore feel they dont have enough expendable income. After being unemployed for two years straight, and currently unemployed and studying, I think I've at least learned to choose my words more carefully when I claim not to have the money for something. Usually when someone says that, it means they do but they have that money earmarked for something else.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote