Music Banter - View Single Post - Living Below the Poverty Line
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Bah, and you told me you were a teacher.

I'm not sure what the poverty line is, but I would have assumed it was much, much lower than the level of income mentioned in the OP.

Most people will always adjust their lifestyle to their income, and therefore feel they dont have enough expendable income. After being unemployed for two years straight, and currently unemployed and studying, I think I've at least learned to choose my words more carefully when I claim not to have the money for something. Usually when someone says that, it means they do but they have that money earmarked for something else.
Ha, I am usually a lowly teacher! But when I was doing my PhD I was working with a bunch of university academics and people in Educational consultation and other random stuff...

What you say is true, but even if you have the funds earmarked for something else, that means you still can't afford to buy whatever the luxury is. E.g. I could say, I can't afford to go overseas because I need the money my current rent and bills, but someone else could say they can't afford to go overseas because they need the money to service their Lambourgini. So even if you can technically afford it but have the money there for something else, there are still variables...

I consider having clean drinking water, healthy food, a running car and a nice house a luxury. But when people are making $100k+ a year and complain about not being able to afford their annual overseas holiday, or a personal cleaner for their house, or designer brand clothes... It's just getting a little ridiculous.