Music Banter - View Single Post - Living Below the Poverty Line
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yeah, and I consider food and a place to live a priority... So I'm choosing that over a holiday. It's a little different to choosing a Lambourgini over a holiday!

Anyway, point was that you spend what you earn. People earning three digits will say they can't afford the luxuries they want, and people earning minimum wage will as well. Some families with kids I know can easily live on about $45k a year, others say they would struggle on anything less than $100k - which relates back to the OP and the discussion of what people think they need to live on based on their style of living and choices of living expenses.
I totally agree with this. I can live on a lot less than I thought, for example after paying rent I'd have $50 over for food (this was only this year) and had to make basic food like toast, sandwiches and a stirfry with cheap vegetables bought from the vege shop. I struggled to pay any of my bills because I needed to use the rest of the $50 on presricptions ($5 for one item), I had bank fees (3 different banks), credit cards, ambulance bill, medical bill, and so on. I managed it but I much prefer to have at least $100-150 over for these things that I have to pay off.

When I got a job it took me 3 months to catch up with the bills and get everything paid off but am still waiting to clear a couple of other ones hanging around like a bad smell.