Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music streaming "enough"?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
Don't know if this point has been brought up. But Briks, you seem concerned that others might not consider yourself a 'fan' if you do not hold physical copies of an artists music.
But my question is really who are you trying to justify yourself to? If you're a fan of something, only you can determine that.

That is up to nobody else's interpretation, that is for you to make the decision as to whether you like something or not.

Owning physical copies of CD does not mean you like an artist any more than someone who doesn't, circumstances vary. Is a man from Singapore less of a fan of Manchester United because he doesn't regularly attend games at Old Trafford as opposed to someone who lives 10 miles from the ground.

It doesn't matter what you own of the subject or how much you know about it, if you enjoy and support the subject in question, then you are a fan. Sure, there probably are varying degrees of fan; from casual to hardcore but like I said if you enjoy the music, you're still a fan.
I prefer CDs and MP3s because:

-I can take the music with me
-I support the artist by buying his/her music
-It makes it a lot easier to listen to get to know the music.

I think it's important to know an artist's catalogue. By buying albums rather than streaming the music, you have a much better opportunity to get to know the catalogue (I always listen to the whole album once I've bought it). You also do a much better job at supporting the artist. As someone previously mentioned, streaming services pay the artists much less than we think.
Maybe I have a different definition of the word "fan" than you have. I think it's about enjoying (and knowing) the artist's music as well as supporting the artist.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote