Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape - Whose Fault Is It?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I think some people have strange ideas regarding accountability which they should probably sort out for themselves.

If I was a young woman, I would be worried about getting raped if I joined in the mass demonstrations that are currently taking place in Egypt because a lot of women are getting raped there. But just because it seems a good idea not to place yourself in a potentially dangerous situation does not mean that you are in any way to be held accountable when people commit crimes against you.

If you open a store, you risk getting robbed. But you're not the one who should be held accountable if it happens!

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Exactly. I agree, tore. There was a recent, awful rape/murder case in Melbourne, Australia recently involving a 29 year old Irish woman living here, Jill Meagher. She was walking home, alone, from a pub in the wee hours of the morning when she was dragged into an alleyway, raped and murdered.

As always, when there is a rape case, there were a variety of comments floating around about how it was her fault that she had decided to walk home alone, that it was her fault because she was probably intoxicated and not thinking straight, I remember even hearing that it was her fault because she was wearing high heels and makeup or something (what the?). I agree that it probably wasn't the best idea to walk home alone at night while intoxicated. However, that does NOT under any circumstances mean that she holds any bit of fault to being raped and murdered. She was not "asking for it."
Exactly. The way some people talk about rape victims is sickening.