Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #460 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Thank you, I was actually meaning anyone could suggest an album! I will get a hold of that now.
I personally love Foxtrot but for someone just getting into Genesis it might be a bit of a hard sell, as one side of it (yeah, I'm old, so what? Fifty tomorrow --- oops today! Happy Birthday to me!) is over twenty minutes long, one song called "Supper's ready". Mind you, if you can dig that then great cos it's one of their classics. And there's nothing better to start you off than "Watcher of the skies".

But it depends on what sort of Genesis you're looking for, as the large-lobed one pointed out. Peter Gabriel, early arty Genesis it's "Trespass", "Nursery cryme", "Foxtrot". Phil Collins, early efforts after Gabrel left, "Trick of the tail" and "Wind and wuthering", two of my favourites. Collins later era as they devolved into something of a straight rock then pop band, "And then there were three", "Duke" and (ugh!) "Abacab", then the self-titled (yeah) and of course there's Gabriel's conceptual masterpiece "The lamb lies down on Broadway" (though don't expect to be able to understand it!)

You could do what I did: get "Seconds out", double live album that covers a good part of their more popular and early work, Collins on vocals but a good but of Gabriel material there. Mind you, the album everyone seems to love (not me) is "Selling England by the pound."

So I guess it just depends what kind of thing you're looking for from Genesis.

Wanna join our club?