Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #22573 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
True, but I think it's a little different to spelling of words. The "inventor" of the English language is a hotly debated topic whereas Harry Potter has a clear creator and original intentions.

Anyway, I'm not saying it was the wrong decision to make by the publisher, however I just find it weird that so many things are changed in order to be palatable for Americans...

Why, when we receive American cultural imports, they aren't changed to suit our cultural norms? In fact I'm glad that they aren't, because I would find it a shame if everything was always changed and altered to suit our country's norms, rather than the beauty of experiencing different cultures per se.

I just find it strange, is all.
If we're talking about creator intentions, then ****, we might as well be flagging the entire lot of every movie that has ever been adapted from a book in order to be more palatable to the audience. And if we go further, when we're talking about a book being palatable to a particular culture, it's PRETTY hard for me to see any significance in a further step of a mangled intention being remade into a movie that tacks on a change in a freaking title, as though that's really the biggest foul.
Honestly, the entire issue feels like straw grasping. The truth of the matter is that whether Americans would give a damn about the title or not, they loved the movie. And if someone could tie that enjoyment to a lower intelligence level, then that doesn't say much for non-Americans who also enjoyed the movie... And certainly we're not basing something like this on whether a movie title contained this or that... It should be pretty obvious that one was just more accessible to the culture than the other, but it doesn't simultaneously say that the culture doesn't know what philosophy is.