Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #22575 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
This is exactly what I am saying, read my edit

My main thing is that I don't see how the word "sorcerer" is an American word, making the book more relatable to American culture? How is sorcerer more American than philosopher? It just seems weird to me. I'm not saying your argument is invalid or that I disagree with it. It just seems pointless to change a title of a book (I am talking about the book that was published in 1997 with very little marketing campaigns, whereas I think you are talking about the more recent movie when HP has become a marketing conglomerate) to become accessible to a culture when I'm pretty sure the book would have been just as accessible to the literary population using the word "philosopher." It would be different if they were changing the word to a cultural-specific term but neither of those words are culturally specific. There is no way that "sorcerer" or "philosopher" and culturally specific words. In fact, they aren't even synonyms.
LOL... No, I meant that Sorcery lends itself more to magic than Philosophy, which was my assumption of why it was changed. Which, as an American, makes sense to me... which might also be the reason it would market better.

I'm not thinking so deeply about this. It's a simple marketing thing. In America, things that relate will probably be more cohesive to an audience, and I'm thinking that's why that happened. It doesn't go further than that, really.