Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you believe in ghosts?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #190 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Why does everyone seem to partition critical thinkers into this rigid, non-movable box of pure logic and evidence? Critical thinkers simply approach arguments or claims in that way, because it's the most reasonable approach. And like Duga said, we are actually in the best position to be open minded simply because when the evidence mounts one way or the other for a claim, we will accept it. You can't say that for people that base their beliefs on something as immovable as personal conviction completely devoid of, and opposed to, evidence.

For instance, I don't believe in a sentient creator. However, if we find evidence for one, I will definitely believe in one. However, if we find proof that there ISN'T a god, I guarantee you that the majority of believers will disregard that evidence. Same thing for ghosts, or any other fantastical claim.

I would put it to you that those employing evidence-based approaches will be FAR more likely to change their beliefs than those with solely cultural or personal leanings. I would consider those people more closed minded.

I also think people are thinking of open mindedness as some sort of tag for people believing in fantastical things. That's a mischaracterization. Being open minded is being open to possibilities, not simply believing in the least-supported ones. which would be plain stupidity. As a critical thinker, I'm open to the possibility that ghosts exist, however I'm far more likely to believe that they don't until there is some compelling evidence to believe otherwise. And when there is, I will believe.

That's more than I can say for religious groups or hardcore fanatics of any flavor.
Being a critical thinker doesn't mean you just toil away non-creatively and joylessly at life, crunching the numbers of likelihood and spitting in the face of fantastical hope. I'm a very creative person in my pursuits, and I enjoy the same fantasies anyone else does. We are, after all, all humans. We have the same fears, desires, hopes and wonders. Critical thinkers simply employ a particular approach when it comes to validating a claim and resting a belief on it, and it most certainly doesn't only happen when there's a supernatural claim involved. It's a broad approach to answering questions. And for those questions we have no answers for, we're just as open as anyone else out there.
I agree with Freebase, 'critical thinking' doesn't have to be boxed into one certain way of thinking. critical =/= logical. They are not synonymous. Critical thinking means exactly what it says - thinking critically about something, which doesn't always have to be taking a very scientific or logical approach...