Music Banter - View Single Post - Criticizing Music Taste
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Default Criticizing Music Taste

In one of the threads, a new member commented on something they heard about members here criticizing the tastes of other members. They expressed their hesitation to explore the thread for this reason.

It's obvious here that many members think their taste in music is better than other members, while many are open to all types of music and opinions!

While I know that this is true and have experienced the negative consequences of such judgments here, I also know that some members take no interest in judging the music tastes of others. Many here simply wish to explore.

What do you think about this?
IS it okay to judge someone for their music TASTE? Why should anyone feel that they listen to better music than anyone else? Why does anyone feel their opinion in this subject is even important?

I remember about two years ago, I had shared an album that I was really excited about, only to be attacked for sharing it. I was called a middle school girl, compared to someone's little sister, and felt really embarrassed. I haven't listened to the album since then. Not because I didn't like it, but because I was upset and embarrassed. I can't express to you how much I liked the album, and how much I disliked some albums others were sharing, but never did I criticize the actual members.

It's just a weird concept to me that we attack the actual person, making them feel so bad that they change their music tastes. I have a lot more to say but what does everyone else think?

TL;DR is it okay to judge the music tastes of others, is it then okay to judge the person for having those tastes?

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote