Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape - Whose Fault Is It?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #63 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

The problem here is that people take statements like 'the risk could be minimised by not walking through high crime areas late at night/not being pissed as a fart' or other stuff like that as OMG THAT'S VICTIMBLAMING!!11

I can't be arsed to discuss whether x precaution minimises rape or not* but there is a difference between outright blaming someone for something and stating an opinion as to minimizing risk or whatever and people need to realise this instead of getting so offended.

If you're in a high crime area late at night you're more likely to be a victim of crime. This is a fact. Does it mean you're to blame? No, not really.

*For dress code specifically I don't know if it has any effect at all. People are quick to say rape is about power which is fair enough. I don't think it's as black and white as that though. Several factors can overlap and motivate someone to rape imo, think Jeffrey Dahmer said he would actually pick his victims based on appearance so it's not unreasonable to say some rapists are motivated by attraction (as well as other things).

In the real world, very few people 'blame' the victim.

I typed a long post re: Jeremy Forrest and this country's attitude to nonces and decided I just couldn't be arsed.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote