Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #488 (permalink)
nirishan
Groupie

Well as far as MPP goes, I absolutley adored My Girls and Bluish, the way the layers compliment each otehr works perfectly. And the buildup in My Girls is great, the repetition is used FOR the purpose of that immense burst. it might be a callabck to the 80s, but it's not just that. It's beyond that, It's a sound that would have never come but through them, and them then. I think they';re both beautiful pieces, but of course, it's all opinion.

With the random note criticism for Campfire Songs. I can see what you're saying. And in many cases I'd agree. But at the same time, for something to become so popular and get pretty generally good reviews, there has to be something worth it...right? (But then I think of abstract art and this defense isn't holding up...)
I think a better defense would be to just tell you what I like about campfire songs. It's simple yes, but not random. Take the first track Queen in My Pictures. It's a really droning, long piece and doesn't change much, so yeah it can turn many off. But for me, it transports you, those simple repetitive chords create a sort of tension on the brim of relaxation. Then Panda Bear's voice and the additional notes transport you to that place. It's amazing.
nirishan is offline   Reply With Quote