Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape - Whose Fault Is It?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #69 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
I get what you're saying, not trying to be an arsehole but this is basically the point I'm making, maybe that is the case but this is ambiguous at best and I don't buy into this 'victim blaming' shtick being common enough to get upset over based off of that. Someone points out doing x was stupid and then people just respond with a load of 'rape is not the victim's fault', even though nobody said it was, is it actually happening or are we just pretending it's happening? I don't see why people think there should only be an outpouring of grief and anger when something like this happens and anything else is off limits. If she was being stupid, people are obviously gonna point that out. Doesn't mean it's her fault or that people are saying it's her fault.

Ched Evans is a stupid cunt as well.
Quote:
Jill put herself in a vunerable[sic] situation and therefore you need to understand that she owns some of the responsibility of what happened to her.
Quote:
Look at the way she was dressed. No wonder this happened. Who would walk home looking liek[sick] that?
Quote:
apparently she was drunk a nd[sic] a party girl, obviously asking for it.
These are just three quotes I found from a quick Google search of news articles and comments from when the incident happened. (The Age, The Australian, No Cookies | Herald Sun).

Of course when the incident happened there were many more comments following by members of the public, talkback radio etc, but I don't have the time to track them down right now.

Clearly these comments are not only indicating that what Jill did was stupid, but they are also victim blaming her, i.e. suggesting the crime is somewhat of her fault. This is what victim blaming is. Like I said, I too agree that walking home unaccompanied in the middle of the night is not the smartest thing to do. But I do not agree that the rape/murder was in ANY way her fault. And I do also think that comments like these ARE of victim blaming nature.