Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' Musical Meanderings
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #83 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I don't mean to tease you so much but you are so behind the curve on the collaboration thing between musicians. The whole Youtube explosion is around the time when that sort of activity began to become more popular. The only limitations would have to be if you are living in completely different timezones and even then you can still send each other your parts and have one or the other mix them while the other is sleeping and/or busy.
Which is why I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Now, this is not a new thing, loads of musicians collaborate and make music online, but it was at that moment that it really just occurred to me how easy it was.
I've been following online collabs on YouTube and other mediums for years, but it wasn't until recently that I PERSONALLY became involved in online collabs and began to realise the impact of it. I know it's not a new practice, but just something that I personally have been dabbling in recently as a musician - as a musician, it is new to me.

I don't think timezone is the only limitation. So far, I've encountered many other limitations, sound quality being one of them. If you're chatting on Skype and jamming together on Skype, there is only so much that the other person can hear, even if you're using a top quality microphone, it's difficult to show certain things or musical techniques without either a) being there in real life and hearing it in good quality or b) going to the effort of creating a good recording of your sample so that the other person can hear it in good quality, which you can't really do in real time. I've also found that delay when Skyping or video chatting can be an issue if you're trying to play along to something together. And for me, timezones mean that everything takes forever. When playing with other musicians in real life, we could get a song polished in a day. For me, it has taken months to even get to something that is pretty half-arsed, after all the emailing back and forth and recording and re-recording, etc.

Even when people collab online, they will still come together in real life and real time if they want to make a quality recording of it...