Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #134 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Death Angel: Killing Season

Death Angel's second album since their reformation and supposedly closer to the sound of their debut, The Ultra-Violence. It's highly possible that this is just backtracking to please their meathead thrash metal fanbase, but if they can deliver the goods, then I won't complain too much.

And again with the melodic guitar intro. I know it's the law, but I'm a rebel.

There we go. Yeah, that's definitely more abrasive than The Art of Dying. Pretty awesome riff too.

My ass is definitely getting kicked to all hell and back. I don't even feel embarrassed to be sounding like a knuckle-dragger talking about this album. And Mark Osugueda has brought back the scream. Yes. I love how on the debut he had a scream that he would only break out occasionally, just to maximize the badassery.

Death Angel definitely have a groove metal influence now that they're back. It's not so pronounced as Exodus, but on a song like "Dethroned" or "Resurrection Machine" they come at you with a heaviness that could move a city block. Hell yeah.

God damn. The Art of Dying was definitely cool, but this album is kicking its ass. Not just in viciousness, but the song quality is just amazing. I'm gonna have to compare this to The Ultra-Violence, because there's an off chance that this is the best album of their career. Either way, this is an essential listen for anybody who is any kind of a fan

P.S. You know, for all their purist snobbery, I've always had some level of trust in the opinions on the Metal Archives, but when it comes to new thrash albums by old bands they are some whiny tools. If a band shows even the slightest Pantera influence they throw a tantrum.

P.P.S. I just spent the last half hour (at least) trying to figure out what songs to put in the spoiler, and eventually I just gave up on my usual four song limit and used six. God this album rules.

Spoiler for Death Angel rules. You do not.:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote