Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music streaming "enough"?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Yes but the same thing goes for buying CDs. they get paid way less. If you want to really support your artist that you are fan of, you buy merch at their concerts. I don't feel like you need to own physical media to be considered a fan. In this digital age that's such an old fossil of an idea. You can get to know an artist just as well by streaming as you can be buying the physical album. You don't even have to have a strong internet connection anyways because if you have an mp3 player then you can just take the mp3 files that you do have and use that to take them everywhere with you. I do that.

I can stream albums first and if I like them just download them on the spot since I'm still a Zune customer paying to rent these files....grrr that idea gets under my skin but yeah.
There's a great article on TechDirt about RIAA accounting about how little artists make little to no money on album sales. 13% of 20% on average or like $1 for every $1,000 worth of albums sold.

Lyle Lovette (sp?), platinum album, made absolutely $0 from album sales. Most bands, particularly on major labels, are lucky just to break even at $0 profit.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2