Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #93 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
This is a great, informative journal Zer0. I really enjoyed reading through it.

I actually just looked up Belle & Sebastian yesterday on Spotify and downloaded what will be my first album of theirs onto my phone. Not that I haven't heard them before, I've heard them quite a few times now, but always just odd tracks here and there. They always seemed dreadfully boring to me, and it's not like I just have a dislike of slow, gloomy or depressing music. Not at all. Anyway, these past couple of days I again heard a few odd tracks and for some reason was at least intrigued.

I also remember when Girls Not Grey came out. I didn't think it was too bad but didn't really get into AFI. I did once go and see them at a Leeds festival though...instead of Blur. Yeah, kinda regret that one now. Although they didn't have Graham in the band at that time so who the **** cares? :-P

Anyway, great stuff. You're around my age arent you? I think we used to listen to a lot of similar music when we were in our teens.
Cheers, I try to do my best.

I think Belle and Sebastian are one of those love them or hate them bands. They seem to attract a particular type of listener, maybe slightly bookish and nerdy, but that's probably just a stereotype. Definitely their first three albums and their early EPs are worth checking out, after that they were a bit hit or miss. But even on the strength of their earlier stuff Stuart Murdoch is one of my favourite lyricists ever.

AFI have never played a gig in Ireland (at least not to my knowledge) but I would have loved to have seem them back in the day when I was a big fan, I wouldn't bother much nowadays though. I don't think I'm too far off your age, I'm 26 at the moment. Apart from some of the usual suspects I used to listen to in my teens like Nirvana, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc, I used to listen to bands like Funeral For a Friend, Finch, Hundred Reasons, InMe, Lostprophets and some other bands I'm too embarrassed to mention. Speaking of FFAF I was quite a big fan when their debut was released, which was almost ten years ago as well. In retrospect I can't help think how awful their vocalist was.