Music Banter - View Single Post - Entering Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Just last week I was listening to John Lydon sitting in for Jarvis Cocker on his radio show and he played Ain't No Sunshine and was singing Ken Boothe's praises saying he owned everything that he had recorded.
I almost forgot about Lydon's obsession with Jamaican music. It's interesting that he mentioned Boothe because there are so damn many of those musicians who made such great stuff. I can't keep track of them all but based on his recommendation, I'll probably look deeper into Ken Boothe.

Day Three

Well, I after I submitted that last post I did go back to bed but I did not sleep very long. I got up in the middle of the night unable to sleep and tried to figure out what to do with myself. Nothing was working though – I was bored. It wasn’t just an average type of boredom but a deep, mind-numbing boredom of the kind that doesn’t allow you to enjoy any activity at all. This is one of the demons I had been waiting for. I remember feeling this way quite often before I started getting intoxicated. Along with this boredom comes guilt born from the fact that a part of me feels that boredom is a symptom of being spoiled and overprivileged. I also have memories of a teacher I had in high school who told my class that bored people are boring people. I know he was just trying to get kids to pay attention to his Biology lessons but something about that always made sense to me. So, while I’m clearly not physically addicted to alcohol in any significant way, I’ve got some psychological dependence and one reason for that may be that I am a boring person. I drink because I’m boring. Oh well, demon one recognized.

Eventually I decided to listen to some music. The thought of The Red Sea by ISIS popped into my mind and I initially resisted because I didn’t think I really felt like hearing any kind of loud sludgy stuff. Then I remembered that anytime an idea of what to listen to pops up, I should follow that instinct. Otherwise, I’ll spend 10 minutes or more trying to decide, never being satisfied and usually ending up putting on what my mind told me to in the first place. So I went with it and this was a good idea. I haven’t listened to the album in a long time and when I heard it, it dawned on me that this album is actually now very nostalgic and transports me back to a certain time and place in the late 90s. It was a time when I was a lot more carefree than I am now, and also when I hadn’t heard a thousand bands use this sound. It felt good to be back there.

The vocal samples in that song are from dialogue between Crispin Glover and Alicia Witt in the episode they did of David Lynch’s old HBO series, Hotel Room, which was awesome but only 3 episodes long. The Crispin/Alicia episode (#3) is definitely the best but the one with Harry Dean Stanton (#1) is also really good. So I decided to watch those. The boredom was mostly gone and that was good.

The shit, Moe, the shit!

Interestingly, in the Stanton episode, he orders a bottle of Jim Beam (my current drug of choice) and it definitely made me want some. I hope that I wouldn’t have had any but I can’t know because there’s none in the house and no liquor stores were open. I assume I wouldn’t – the craving wasn’t very intense, and I could have as much as I want in four days.

Later in the day I got really sleepy and kind of against my will took a long nap right in the middle of the day. This sucks because now I’ll be up all night and have thrown off my sleeping schedule yet again. Luckily I seem to be having slight physical reactions to quitting booze because since I stopped I haven’t felt fully alert for very long, so I should be able to get my sleeping back on track soon enough.