Music Banter - View Single Post - Why are country and world music lumped together??
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cactoos View Post
Everyone is, I believe, aware of the fact that country and folk are the horses of another colour, but concidering the daily capacity of this forum (in comparison with other ones on MB), the connecting of those different music worlds with each other is the most reasonable solution, at least for that moment.
^ I think this is clearest answer to the OP question so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I wanted to start a educational thread on outernational music like Brazilian, Afro-Caribbean, French pop, dub reggae, Italian soundtracks and other more esoteric musical forms but I really don't know where to put it. I was thinking about either the indie music or the general music forum because nobody seems to read anything in this forum.
^ A thread like that would be very welcome, Gavin B, because you are a very knowledgeable poster, but I´m not sure about the last bit that you wrote. Firstly, people do use this forum. Oddly enough, they are people who are interested in country, folk and world music. There may not be many of us, but who is to say if that is a problem or a blessing?

Quote:
I really don't think country music belongs in the International music thread.
^ Strictly speaking, country music is in a forum called Folk & World Music. I think MB´s world music forum is for music from anywhere in the world that retains some regional element, so that when you initially hear it you think, "Ah! That´s Russian!" before you think, "Ah! that´s jazz!" To me, especially given what Sir Cactoos says, this forum is a logical place for country music. For many of us, country music comes from a foreign country and is immediately identifiable as being American.

Paradoxically, the term "international music", that you use, could be thought of as referring to the very music which is excluded from this particular forum; music that has so little regional content that it could come from/be popular anywhere in the world. In this sense, the other MB forums are full of international music; electronica, pop, even jazz now that it´s broken out of it´s regional cradle.

Quote:
My thought is that country and folk music should be in a single forum. Maybe call it the Americana and Roots Music forum to keep up with contemporary descriptors for the genres. Another name for the forum could be "No Depression" forum which is from an early Wilco song and used by a lot of folks to describe a broader genre that includes Americana, roots music, country, folk blues and traditional folk music.
^ After mentioning how this forum doesn´t get much traffic, it seems a bit unwise to suggest dividing it down even furthur.

Quote:
International music should share a forum with reggae music, along with a group of very specific electronic artists who specialize in dub remixes of third world music. You call the forum "Outernational Music" which is the term Thievery Corporation uses for the new internationalist music movement.
^ At last there´s something I agree with! I think there´s a really strong case for including all the Ska and Reggae threads in the world music forum, which might help to boost activity here.

However, although the names "No Depression" and "Outernational" sound really cool, they won´t be as clear to anyone as the present forum title is. It would be like calling the electronica thread "Morganspaziergang" because that´s the name of a Kraftwerk track.

Finally, Gavin B., I´d like to apologize for being so picky about your post. I´ve read with great admiration some of the things you´ve posted in MB and the last thing I want to do is to scare you away from contributing to this section of MB. What I´d love to see is you starting your thread here, and with the reputation that your name carries, anyone who is interested will follow the thread. The bottom line is, as you know, that threads should be located according to topic, not according to how much attention they might receive.