Music Banter - View Single Post - The Old Curiosity Shop
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

> Hey, crazed! I was also impressed by the sound of Les Baxter when I heard him for the first time about six months back. Always on the verge of being cheesy, he still manages to deliver something interesting. Have you heard his music for this movie?

> Yes, that Dumb Nutzies is really good, Gavin B - childish but irresistable. Thanks for finding it for us.

> Taking a turn away from the humourous, here´s something written in 1888 which still sounds clear and beautiful today, or as wiki tells us:-
Quote:
The Gymnopédies are regarded as an important precursor to modern ambient music — gentle yet somewhat eccentric pieces which, when composed, defied the classical tradition.

(Plenty more Erik Satie here, of course:http://www.musicbanter.com/classical...rik-satie.html)

> IMO a lot of the music from Tin Pan Alley has a kind of insincere, facetious quality that can be pretty grating, but the wistful romance in this song still comes across:-