Music Banter - View Single Post - Why are country and world music lumped together??
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post

^ I´m quite happy with the way the forums are split at the moment, Urban. I guess I was just trying to rationalize why various types of music are bundled together and put in the "Country, Folk and World" section. In the absence of any clear definition, I came up with this:-

By that criteria, ska and reggae - like Scottish bagpipe music - have strong regional elements as far as I know, and so, logically, could be considered as belonging in the "world music" forum. That they sound completely unlike each other is a point that somebody else highlighted when they asked, "Why are Tibetan and Brazilian music grouped together?"
I get that, but my point is if you think (Not you personally) that the categories are not good enough what's the point of moving it to another that doesn't fit either.

And you are right, Reggae & Ska is a regional form of music that could come under that too, however there something you need to take into account.....

The last time we had a forum shuffle around we needed to merge the 3 lowest traffic forums together to get the forum the way we wanted it, had we needed to merge the lowest 4 forums instead Reggae would have been included in it too. As it happened we didn't need to and it was allowed to stay as a separate forum.

All genres bleed into each other so you have to draw the line somewhere before things look silly. I'd rather have less forums that are active than have the car crash that is that other music forum that regularly rips our ideas off us where they have about 40 separate forums for every little thing that hardly anybody posts in.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote